Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Julia-07

The School Play

6th and 7th Grade postings
1. Persuasive Essay (art in schools)
Check with Mr. R.

2. Plot Diagram (save as a .jpeg and post as a picture)
Check with Mr. R.











3. Response to Literature
Check with Mr. R.

4. Autobiographical Incident (problem that you confronted)
Check with Mr. R. or Incomplete




The Day I Broke My Pinky
Would you like to hear the story about when I broke my pinky? One Day I was playing tetherball with my friends. When my opponent served the ball, I let it go around twice before trying to catch it. When I did, my finger went in towards the ball. At first, I didn’t think it was broken, but it hurt a lot! I iced it for days and days, but all it did was get bigger and blacker.
Finally, I asked my mom if she could take me to the doctor. She said, “Wait a little until American Idol’s over please. David Cook’s on.” When she did, they said I had torn a ligament. My mom felt bad because she didn’t think it was broken. We didn’t get out of the doctor’s office until 12:00pm. We had to make an appointment to put a cast on. That Thursday I went and put my cast on. My cast was pink, and on my right hand. It was really challenging because I had to learn to write with my left. I had to keep it on for three weeks. Everyone in the school was asking to sign it. People were also coming up to me asking why I had the cast. When I told them I broke my pinky their response was,” that big thing for a pinky?!” The cast was up to my elbow so yea you could say that.
When I finally got my cast off, I was proud of myself. I was proud because the doctor said that my hand was the cleanest one she’d seen strait out of a cast. I had to recover for three weeks. That meant, no P.E. This was fifth grade so I was going to miss the fifth grade fitness test.

THE END

5. History: Powerpoint (6th)(7th)
Check with Mr. R.
Fiction Summary: (due 11/21/08)

Thank You Ma'm
Thank You Ma'm is about a big lady named Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones. She had a big purse and lived in a big house. She changes the path a boy named Roger. Roger in the beginning tries to snatch Mrs. Jones purse. It was so big he couldn't take it. He just fell back. So, she picked him up by the shirt and dragged him home. When they got to her house, she left the door open and told him to go wash his face. When he was done, she made both of them something to eat. The whole time she was making dinner and telling him about her job, he didn't run. When they finished, she gave Roger ten dollars. Then she walked him out. As he was leaving he said,” Thank you Ma'm." That day he learned to respect Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones, and other people.
Non-Fiction Summary: (due 11/21/08)



Lighting Goes Digital
Computers have transformed our lives in ways it would be difficult to live with out. Yet we are still using the same technology Tomas Edison invented: the light bulb.
LED's are going to take our technology to the next level. LED's are 20 to 50% efficient. They also produce 70,000 hours of light. Instead of the light being in glass it is in plastic. Designers are creating new ways to use LED's. Like in fabric, building, and contact lenses. LED's are made the same way as computer chips. One bad thing about LED's is the cost. This is where OLED's come in handy.
OLED's are significantly cheaper. One way that makes OLED's cheaper, is that they can be created at room temperature. LED's have to be created at 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit. OLED's are also extremely thin. They can be printed on any substance. Such as Paper or fabric.
There are also still many challenges ahead for LED's and OLED's. One of them is cost. LED's and OLED's technolgy willbrind lighting to the 21st century.

No comments: