Monday, November 3, 2008

36 Desiree

The Circuit

I chose the circuit to do the plot diagram because the story was extremely special to me. I think it was a brilliant piece of writing. I thought it was very heartwarming. It may have been the easiest story but it was the hardest to read. The conflict was both extremely sad and interesting. The other stories just didn’t hit me like this one did. I think it made a huge impact on me and made me extremely grateful for everything I have.

I think I chose the circuit because it actually touched me and made me truly interested. It was more of something that I could understand and the other stories weren’t like that. I didn’t want to do the diagram for the other ones because they didn’t mean anything to me. The other stories where too difficult because I didn’t care about them.


American Revolution Project



Brief Summary/ Reason for Score


Proclamation of 1763: It was the act that forbids the colonist to settle west of the Appalachian Mountains. We gave this act a three because it seemed that people would be a bit mad over moving to a different location but since this was the first act that was put to them, it would that they wouldn’t get very mad.
Sugar Act 1764: This was the act that put a tax on molasses, even though it was already quite expensive. We gave it a two because they basically avoided the tax and where to buy off the tax collectors. Even though they where getting into more trouble for this, it still didn’t get them that mad.
Stamp Act 1764: The act that placed a new tax on legal documents like marriage papers, divorce papers, and wills. We gave this a two because just like the sugar act it wasn’t that bad of a tax but they where still somewhat upset by the new taxes.
Townshend Acts 1767: This was the act that put unfair taxes on goods. Soldiers where also going through their homes and personal property to make sure they where not smuggling the goods without paying the tax. We gave this a four because their rights where violated and they where very mad.
Boston massacre March 5, 1770: This was when the Boston insulted the soldiers and starts throwing food and snowballs at them. The soldiers starting firing at the people even though they where unarmed, they killed five people. We gave it a four because not that many people but the soldiers had no right to shoot them if they where unarmed.
Tea Act 1773: This act was a symbol that they could tax the colonies however they pleased. We gave it a one because the colonies didn’t get that mad the merchants where more upset because they where not getting payed.
Boston Tea party Dec. 16, 1773: This was when the colonist threw tea and other goods off the British boats and threw them into the harbor. We gave this act a five because they must have been extremely mad to go against the big country and destroy their goods.

Intolerable Acts 1774: This act was when they where given several different unfair acts at once. We gave this a four because they where already fed up and this made them even more upset.


1st Continental Congress 1775: This was a meeting about the Americans and the Britain. We gave this a one because they weren’t allowed to go but it didn’t make them that upset.
Battle of Bunker Hill Jun. 16, 1775: This was a battle between the colonies and the British abut their independence. We gave this a four because of course it made them extremely mad they where being killed and they lost the battle. We didn’t give it a five because the British suffered heavy losses.


Graphs: The line graph is a better visual because it shows how their anger goes up and down in a swift movement.






Persuasive Essay






We live in a country where we pride ourselves on freedom and the right to be an individual, school should be the place where this starts. We as students believe we need more creative arts classes, more community fieldtrips, and better physical education. These classes will these classes will help expand our classes past what we have been learning for many years.
One thing we would like to improve in schools is more community fieldtrips. By going on community fieldtrips we will be able to take advantage of the learning opportunities in our community. Not only will students be able to be out in the community but they will also be having hands on learning experiences that will get students more interested in learning. Going out in our neighborhood will inspire students to become more responsible will open our minds to the education around us. By witnessing the education around us students will also be able to witness our environment and ways to improve it.
Speaking of improvements obesity has become the number one cause of death in the United States and now more than ever physical education has become just as important as mental education. In order for all students to participate in physical activities we need to improve the equipment to fit the capabilities of all students. In order to make this happen we need a comfortable, capable facility where students can feel safe. Improving out physical education programs will result in healthy ready to learn students.
The perfect example of a ready to learn students is Leonardo Da vinci. He is also the perfect example of how art and drama bring out the strongest intelligence within us. Bringing in more creative arts classes will expand students learning past basic English and arithmetic. Drama and art classes help to teach most students about geometry, literature, culture, and social skills. Studies show that most students learn better when they get to be hands on and physical. They also absorb more knowledge when they are working with there peers instead of just with the teachers. Think of these creative arts classes as the first flower of spring the symbol of many more flowering opportunities ahead.
Please know that as students we will go to great lengths to have these goals met weather that takes fundraisers or any type of event to raise money. Keep in mind that we cannot do this on out own. The educational goals and improvements that we have mentioned such as more community fieldtrips more creative arts classes and better physical education will certainly exceed the learning methods that have been used for such a long period of time. We have learned that there are a variety of different intelligences and we doubt you want to allow yourself to feel like you have been a part of depriving us from founding ours. So we ask of you, please consider our ideas and help us turn them into a reality.



Autobiographical Incident


The True Life of a Lost Teenager
Walking the halls like a ghost, sitting alone at lunch, and coming home to have a good cry. This is what my first two weeks of school consisted of. Not only was it a new school but it was my first year of middle school. There were hundreds of kids yet I had not one friend. The rest of the year didn’t improve much at all for me but it is a quite interesting story. Let us take a walk through time shall we.
I guess you could say things where less than easy. I had work and a lot of it at that and I also had to solve this problem of having no friends. This was quite a lot for a twelve year old, shy, socially challenged girl to take on. I kept to myself 99% of the time, tried to participate in classes just enough so that I didn’t get made fun of, and cried when I needed to. That wasn’t what I wanted though. I really wanted better. Luckily I met someone who handed it to me on a silver platter.
His name was Francisco Ernesto Aguilera, the boy who became my best friend. The truth is I didn’t have to do anything. He introduced himself, introduced me to his friends, who in turn introduced me to their friends, and pretty soon I was talking to a lot of people. Doesn’t it sound like a fairy tale? Well if I would’ve known that they were going to ruin my life I would’ve stayed a ghost.
It’s true what they say; people will do anything to take from you what they don’t have. See at this point my main best-friends where Francisco and a girl named Alexis, I was extremely happy, and everything seemed to be going great. There was only one problem I was stealing Alexis’ spotlight. Next thing I know I walk past the bathroom and I see Alexis standing on the outside of the door looking at me really weird. I peer inside and see a huge group of gossiping girls standing around the big stall and ask a few what they are staring at. Some move over to let me see. I can’t repeat what was on that wall and frankly I don’t want to. All you need to know is it was bad and it was about me signed by Alexis.
I asked the counselors for help and they didn’t help they where to busy dealing with the drug and gang problems. They told me not to worry and that everything would be fine, funny. Eventually Alexis convinced every one of my friends to stop speaking to me. So I was back at square one, but I had made a dramatic change. I was now a confident, funny, social butterfly. So of course making friends was now really easy for me. This is now the Desiree you know (at least at that point). I made a good group of friends really quick but the real problem was avoiding the stares and gossip. At one point I couldn’t take it anymore. I became extremely depressed, my grades dropped miserably, and I cut off from everyone. I didn’t think it could get much worse but I hadn’t seen the worse quiet yet.
Then it happened. While walking home from school one day Alexis started talking about me to her friends. I just looked over and rolled my eyes. She apparently had more in mind than just talk. She pushed me onto the ground. At that point a million thoughts where running through my head. Horrible mean thoughts. Which isn’t usually my style of thinking but I mean people sometimes push you too far. One of the worst thoughts stuck. I punched her and I punched her hard. Me the girl who never did anything wrong, me the girl who was considered a nerd. I was put through so much and I was just done.
I went home and told my mother everything. I wasn’t ashamed or disappointed to be honest I was relieved. My mom understood which made me feel a lot better. I am about to say something that was a huge shock. My school being completely corrupt believed I had just gone up to Alexis and hit her and kicked her. Which did not happen, I hope you believe that. They had me arrested for battery. No I am not kidding. They were kind enough to leave me in my mom’s care but I was still under arrest. I do not understand that but that is what happened. It was the worst day of my life. I felt like all I had ever worked for and believed in was thrown outside the window. I think I cried for at least four hours.
I do believe I am a strong person so I wasn’t going to let that get me down. I got my grades back up to almost all A’s in fact, and I still had the respect of my teachers. I ended my year with my dignity intact and I was free. I didn’t see the point of acting like I was a criminal. I was just pushed and played and given a wrongful charge. I chose not to go back because I was very hurt by what I had been through. I will never regret my experiences there because they got me to where I am and even though things where never great I learned a good lesson. Now I truly know the definition of what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger.








Response to Literature


If we could work together instead of apart we could live in peace. This is the true lesson we learn from the book Lord of the Flies by William Golding. It is a story about a group of adolescent boys who get stranded on an island. They where on a plane that crashed and the cock pit landed somewhere else so they where left on the island without nay adults.The boys cannot make the situation fit very well and chaos soon consumes the island.

People should really work together to be successful as a united front and not simply focus on the success of themselves. This is something the boys really fail to grasp. Jack; one of the main characters, is arrogant and bossy. He only thinks of himself even when he claims to be thinking of others. His personality often crashes with the personality of the leader of the boys Ralph. Jack believes that he should be leader and wants to get Ralph out of his way fast.Ralph and Jack are always getting into fights because Jack cannot stop hunting. It has become an obsession. On the other hand Ralph wants to have structure and his main focus is safety. Jacks rudeness goes way past that.He breaks Piggy's glasses and beats him up. If he where smart he would become allies with Piggy. If he made peace with him he could ask to use his specs whenever he needed them to light the fire. Sadly Jack is too self absorbed to think before he acts.

Jealousy spreads like a bad disease on the island. The boys should realize that being spiteful and jealous gets them nowhere. Ralph is the leader but he is not a good leader, Jack feels he should be leader and humiliates him in front of all the hunters and makes him seem like coward. Soon after this he tries to vote Ralph off as leader. No one wants this to happen. Probably because they are scared of what kind of leader Jack will be, or perhaps they knew. Luckily the boys find some common ground when they must hunt for the beast on the island. Jacks valuable skills and Ralph's protective attitude combine to form a perfect alliance. For a short period of time they work together in peace.

Only thinking of yourself makes you become a malicious human being. your horrid behavior can influence even the most innocent and selfless of people. Jacks evil ways influence the littluns because he became the unanimous leader. The littluns beat Simon until hey lay dead, Simon was truly the good of the island, He never judged or hurt another person. He had been possessed and the boys instead of mending him, destroyed him.The killing spree continued. Jacks annoyance with Piggy stayed. Piggy never gave in to Jack. He never let him ruin him. Jack hated him fro this. He crushed him with a boulder and watched him die, If only they could've found strength in each other.

Lord of the Flies is a tale of adolescence torn from society and stripped of humanity by their own selfish, savage ways. The author showed us how we as people are too blind-sighted to see that if we worked together instead of apart we could live in peace. He showed us that we are too self absorbed to see that we need rules and that someone being in charge is not a bad thing. The adolescence could not see and became savages. It makes you think maybe you could be the one to make people realize that simple morality and ethics could lead everyone to be peaceful and happy. Could you?
Constitution
We as a country shall keep these United States safe, fair, andRunning well. Our government will be decided upon by the people.There will be NO president. Instead we will have three groups of government.These groups will each be in charge of a specific part of the government. They will all work together to balance the government and make sure that no one gets All the power. In emergency situations the leader of SHIELD (whom is mentioned later on)will make the last decision. Elections will be held to choose the people that are in these Branches of government. The people will have the right to take a leader out ofOffice if they are abusing their power. Everything that the branches do must Have a reason that helps to protect the governed. States will have the right to Have small leaders for their states. These leaders will help to make regulations that abide by the countries laws and the rights of the people. These state leaders will Also be voted upon by the people. All regulations that the state leaders come up With must be passed through the federal government. To enforce the laws police will patrol streets. Police officers have the right to arrest or give a ticket to any individual that is not obeying the law . Policemen/women must respect the individual rights even while arresting them. Physical force must only be used when abusive force is given by the suspect. After being arrested people have a right to a fair un-biased trial among a jury and judge. The judge must go over all the evidence and both sides of the story. Then the judge has to determine a fair punishment if the suspect is guilty. Punishments may not consist of torture acts. There are laws that will always be like you can’t kill another individual if you do you will receive the death penalty. You cannot steal another persons property if you do you will be arrested. The amount of time you are arrested depends on the amount of money that what you stole cost. Selling you and having sex with people for money is illegal. Taxes will have to be distributed to the people. People in poverty will only have a 1% tax people in middle class will have a 5% tax and upper class people will have a 10% tax. Taxes will be given on everything besides food. We will have an association called the SHIELD who will protect our country. They will be of service when the army is not enough. They will be ordered by direct authority of the government to handle extremely dangerous jobs. We will also have an association named Planet Earth. This is association will be in charge of protecting the countries people, animals, and plants. This association will keep track of everything that goes on that has to do with animals and land. They will make sure that we are being conservative and fair towards the earth and its inhabitants. Everyone in the country must be a vegetarian they must never eat meat! If people eat meat or kill animals they shall be arrested for life. No racism against religion, gender, color, or place of origin. Everyone has the right to an education. Alcohol, Drugs, and Tobacco are ILLEGAL. They will not be made or sold in the United States. Anyone found under the influence of these substances will be arrested. Schools must have elective programs. Every single school must have music programs. Deaf and Blind schools are the exceptions to those rules. Handy-cap people must have programs that help them to live functionally. This will include community centers and hospitals. Also Hospitals must treat all people whether they have health insurance or not. If they do not have health insurance they must be asked to make reasonable payments each month to pay off there bill. The reasonability of the price will be determined by the government and people and but be passed through the federal government. The minimum wage on jobs is $18.00 this price can be changed due to the economic place the government is in. When a person turns 16 they are officially adults they have the right to live on there own and may get a job wherever they want. If they want to still live with there family they may. Laws will be made by the congress and will be voted upon by the congress. If the law gets a vote higher than 50% it becomes a law. Laws must stay active for at least 10 yeas.We have created this constitution to protect these United States. We will make it our job to preserve the valuable words that we have put into this constitution. Those who go against the words may not break the laws but fight to change them.
Declaration of independence
Declaration of Independence In my own words
All men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.People are all the same.They have rights to be alive, free, and try to be happy.The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.The king has caused nothing but harm and has been a dictator to the states. Basically a meanie. The facts will be told in the declaration.He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.He wont pass laws unless they give up one of there most cherished which makes him a dictator.A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.A person who wants to be an unfair ruler is not fit to be one.They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.The British have not listened to the complaints. So we will now separate from England and make our country the way we want it.















Due 11/19/08
Fiction Summary
A simple act of kindness can make a dramatic change in someones life. In the short story Thank you, M'am a woman named Mrs. Luella Bates Washington Jones in confronted by a teenage boy named Roger that tries to steal her purse. She takes him by the shirt and asks him what buisness he has stealing her purse. She takes him home so he can wash his face and have something to eat. He doesnt leave or run, when she leaves her purse by him and leaves the room he does not take it.Mrs. Jones was the exact coincidence that Roger needed. She saw past the fact that he tried to steal her purse and lent her hand out to help him.
Roger told her that he tried to steal the purse because he wanted new shoes. She told him that she once did bad things also and that all he had to do was ask her for some money. She remembered that she too made mistakes when she was younger. She gave him some money to buy the shoes and sent him off. That bit of kindness changed Roger from a thief to a well behaved teenager. He leaves with just a small saying "Thank you, Ma'm".
Non-Fiction Summary

A Long Hard Journey
A long hard journey talks about ex-slaves who found work as porters after the Civil War. They worked on Pullman trains which where extremely elegant. These trains traveled across country holding rich passengers. George Pullman hired ex-slaves as porters because they where used to serving people for nothing and his pay was good enough for them. Porters where highly respected people. For reasons both good and bad.
They endured a lot of torment from the passengers of the train. The college students who rode the train would humiliate them and physically abuse them. This is what earned the porters the biggest tips. Porters dealt with the harsh treatment with a smile upon their face. This notorious smile became a rule among many that the porters had to follow.
Porters followed a strict book of guide lines. They had to do everything a passenger asked. They had a specific routine in how they made the beds, fold by fold, tuck by tuck. Pullman abused his power over the porters. He had said “My rule or your ruin”. He hadn’t a care in the world for how they where being treated.
When George Pullman developed a special place for people to live equipped with everything needed to live comfortably, the black workers where not allowed to live on the land. They where still treated with disrespect. The difference with these jobs was that both whites and blacks filled them. When the white workers began a protest the black workers where not invited. 90% of workers left and the rest of the black workers got laid off. Seventeen people where killed in the two days of rioting and the company shut down. Eventually Pullman took the black workers back as long as they signed a pledge to not to protest even though they weren’t the one that protested.
Even though George Pullman wasn’t the kindest person and could have treated the ex-slaves a lot better, he gave them jobs that made them highly respected people. This alone showed the beginning of the beginning for the ex-slaves. Soon they would be on to bigger and better things and it all started with the porters.

Lighting Goes Digital
The article Lighting goes digital is about light emitting diodes. LEDs are a type of light transmitted through diodes which are similar to a small computer chip. This type of light is useful because it saves energy. OLEDs are a also light emitting diodes but they are organic. They are made from the natural compound carbon. OLEDs are superior to LEDs because they are natural and energy efficient. They are powered by renewable energy and are made of plastic which makes them nearly indestructible. This kind of digital light has its downfalls. OLEDs are an extremely expensive light. It was used to make a television that was extremely small and it cost 2,500 dollars. Scientist need to find a way to make the light cheaper and the materials to make it less fragile so that they can last longer. Lighting is became digital age, much like everything thing else in our everyday life. Soon more and more things will become digitally operated, its just part of life, progress.






No comments: