Wednesday, March 25, 2009

27-Brielle

So Bashful by: Emily Dickinson
So bashful when I spied her,
So pretty, so ashamed!
So hidden in her leaflets,
Lest anybody find;

So breathless till I passed her,
So helpless when I turned
And bore her, struggling, blushing,
Her simple haunts beyond!

For whom I robbed the dingle,
For whom betrayed the dell,
Many will doubtless ask me,
But I shall never tell!

1. What words or phrases are repeated? Why does the poet repeat these words?
There aren’t any.
2. What images (using any of the five senses) does the poet use.
Spied, so pretty, so bashful, so breathless till passed her.
3. Explain the metaphors.
She betrayed the valley, meaning she’s letting down others.
4. Is there a regular rhythm? Is there regular rhyme? How do rhythm and/or rhyme affect the poem?
Yes, the poem has a constant rhyme, so this gives the poem a rhythm.
5. What is the theme or message of the poem? Use text examples from each stanza.
The theme is she’s very shy and she lets down others. She also struggles in life for being shy.

No comments: