Wednesday, March 25, 2009

17 rebekah

How to Read a Poem

Introduction
when you first start to read a poem you look at each stanza carefully and evaluate the unimportant words and with the other words you order them in the right order.
Repetition
when words repeat that usually means that they have something to do with the message.
Imageryif you look at words that are like: smell the flowers, that is an image.
Metaphor
if for instant you took: crystal stairs = the easy road to take in life, splintery stairs = the hard road in life.
Rhythm, rhyme
if you put: my name is Marie,
I climbed a tree,
I ate my apple pie,
Then I reached for the sky.
That is a rhyme with rhythm.
Theme/message
the message has everything to do with the poem. If it weren’t for a message you wouldn’t understand the poem. A message is like a bud you can see what it is on the outside, but you don’t know if the flower is going to be pretty or ugly. Just like a message can be bad or good.

No comments: