Tuesday, March 17, 2009

16 eliza- summary of poem

"There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun By the men who moil for gold.The arctic trails have their secret tales That would make your blood run cold.The northern lights have seen queer sights,But the queerest they ever did see Was that night on the marge of Lake Le Barge I cremated Sam McGee."
"Cap" Sam McGee says. "I'll cash in this trip, I guess. And if I do, I'm asking that you Won't refuse my last request." He looked so bad that Cap couldn't say no. "It's the cursed cold, it's got right hold 'til I'm chilled clean through to the bone.Yet tain't being dead, it's my awful dread Of an icy grave that pains. So I want you to swear that foul or fair, You'll cremate my last remains." Cap swore to do so. Sam talked about his home in Tennessee, and before nightfall, the corps was all that was left of Sam McGee. Due to the promise he made, Cap had to cremate his friend no matter how much he didn't want to do it.
Even though the dogs were worn out, and the clay seemed to get heavier, he didn't give up until he reached the frozen lake Lake Le Barge. "This," said Cap with a cry, "is my crematorium!"Some planks he tore from the cabin floor And lit the boiler fire. Some coal he found that was lying around And heaped the fuel higher.The furnace roared and the flames they soared, Such a blaze you seldom see. Then he burrowed a hole in the glowing coal And he stuffed in Sam McGee.
Cap didn't like the way Sam's body sizzled so he went on a hike. He did not know how long he wrestled with fear, but it was night and the stars danced. He was sick with dread and he said in a brave tone "I'll just take a peek inside. He's probably cooked, it's time I looked." And he opened the door wide. And Sam was sitting there, cold and calm, with a smile. And he said "Please shut that door!It's warm in here, but I greatly fear You'll let in the cold and storm. Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee,It's the first time I've been warm."
"There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun By the men who moil for gold.The arctic trails have their secret tales That would make your blood run cold.The northern lights have seen queer sights,But the queerest they ever did see Was that night on the marge of Lake Le Barge I cremated Sam McGee."

No comments: