Sunday, March 22, 2009

19 Christian--The Negro Speaks of River

I've known rivers:
I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the flow
of human body in human veins.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young.
I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep.
I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it.
I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln went
down to New Orleans, and I've seen its muddy bosom turn
all golden in the sunset.

I've known rivers:
Ancient, dusky rivers.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

1. What phrases are repeated?

- I've known rivers
-My soul has grown deep like the rivers

2. What images (visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory, gustatory )?

Visual: I've seen it's muddy bosom turn all golden in the sunset.
human veins
rivers ancient(dirty, old)
hut near the Congo

Auditory:lulled me to sleep

Tactile: dusky rivers
muddy bosom
hut near the Congo

Olfactory: rivers
muddy bosom

Gustatory:None



3. Explain metaphors.

"My soul has grown deep like the rivers"
I think that means that the person in the poem has opened/showed himself and soul to the world.

4. What rhythm or rhyme scheme does the poem have? How does this affect meaning?

There is really rhyme or rhythm.

5. What is the theme or message of the poem? Give text examples from each stanza.

I think this poem that Langston Hughes wrote is how he use to live and life there. For example the houses they lived in,"I built my hut near Congo and it lulled me to sleep." Where they lived also probably was near a," rivers ancient as the world and older than the flow than of human blood.

No comments: